Background

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Be Our Guest

Today's guest blogger post is a little different than most. As a technology integration coach, I am obviously heavily pushing the use of technology in schools. I thought it might be fun to hear from the other side, so this guest post is brought to you by a fifth grader.

At my school we don’t use much technology. If technology is being used it is
for a test, research, or reports. Technology is a huge resource to everyone
especially on homework, but in school it might be a good idea for these few
reasons. When you become an adult you use technology daily if you teach
students how to use technology in their youth that could help them tons in their
later life.
Technology is full of websites that children could use to learn and help them in
their school work. In my school the younger kids do that all the time. My school
has a computer lab that maybe you might like too. We use our lab for research or
big end of the year tests, but only with supervision from our teacher. For some of
the younger kids the lab is used for learning websites for children but still with
adult supervision.
As you can see technology can be a good thing but if you use the wrong way it can
be dangerous. My school is very safe about technology and it has helped my grade
and everyone else learn and progress throughout the years. If your school uses
technology and is safe about it, it can be very helpful.

9 comments:

  1. Great idea for a guest blogger! I enjoy first-hand perspectives from students, particularly those affected by the topic-at-hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great blogging perspective! I truly hope you get to use some creative technology tools in your future. 5th graders are SO ready to create and share with technology. Thank you for also pointing out that technology needs to be used safely. Being a good digital citizens is very important and it sounds like your school as a great one in you. Thank you for your post.

    -Jake

    ReplyDelete
  3. "When you become an adult you use technology every day." This here is one of the most succinct and powerful arguments for including technology in education that I've ever seen. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Technology is becoming part of nearly every job there is, so our students need to know how to use it!

      Delete
  4. Its so easy for us to forget that we do everything we do in education is for the kids. I loved hearing from this student's perspective about technology. I found it interesting that they kept pointing out that everything was with adult supervision. I'm curious if they were wanting more independence with the technology or just pointing out that an adult is always there. Either way, very meaningful post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can tell that he sees both sides of the coin. He sees how younger students at his school are using technology but at the same time he seems to be happy with the technology use he has had so far but sees that it may help him in the future. I wonder if any of his future teachers will push him/her to use technology in the classroom and what he/she may have to say then. It is great to be hearing from a student first hand. Thanks for providing us with this perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea for a blog post! It's great that he knows that learning some tech tools now will help him in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your guest and I love that you allowed him/her to give their opinion. The statement, "At my school we don’t use much technology. If technology is being used it is for a test, research, or reports," hurts my heart. Educators need to try in incorporate technology whenever possible...not for only test, projects or reports.

    ReplyDelete